A CALL TO ACTION
Welcome to our EARTH SAVERS webpage. AADC is committed to supporting environmental awareness. Each month author Jody Brady gives us information and tips on how to be more friendly to the environment. Your comments and tips are welcome. Scroll down if you would like to comment. Comments are curated and may not appear immediately.
Save the Trees and the Trees May Save Us
Trees have emerged as one of our most important defenses against global warming. More than 200 million trees are cut down every day to make paper. Many world governments have advanced plans to plant vast numbers of trees to combat the pollution of our earth. Trees absorb and store the very carbon dioxide emissions that cause global warming. Once captured by trees, these emissions can do no harm. Some researchers believe that a worldwide tree planting program could remove two-thirds of carbon emissions.
It is vital that science gain a greater understanding of the tree/earth relationship. Scientists are also working to understand wetlands and open lands. The UN and countries worldwide are looking for solutions to cool our earth. We each can do our part.
Here’s an example of what you can do as an individual. (Please excuse my POTTY MOUTH. It’s for the environment.)
Every day, over one million trees are cut down just to make traditional toilet paper. And, only 30% of the world population is flushing this huge amount of paper down their toilets. The other 70% doesn’t even have a toilet to flush. More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
Each one of us can help to save some of those one million trees used for toilet paper. I’d like to recommend a company called Who Gives A Crap. Their website is at https://us.whogivesacrap.org. This company recycles paper, such as newspaper, in order to make toilet paper. They also make toilet paper out of bamboo.
Who Gives A Crap donates 50% of their profits to charity partners who build toilets in developing countries. Who Gives a Crap has donated over $8.3 million to help provide proper sanitation for 2.3 billion people worldwide.
My friends and I have our toilet paper delivered in eco-friendly boxes. There’s no plastic and no shopping in stores. Plus, you get a discount when you refer a friend.
Using biodegradable products like this toilet paper can help. But it’s not enough. We each need to change our behavior. Here are some ideas:
Ways to Reduce Your Personal Carbon Footprint
- Stop buying products in plastic.
- Walk or bike instead of driving.
- Turn off lights and unplug devices when not using them.
- Keep the tires on your car inflated. This uses less gas and puts out fewer emissions.
- Eat locally grown food that doesn’t have to be trucked in.
- Use the cold-water cycle for washing clothes and try to always do full loads.
- Set your thermostat to 78 in summer and to 67 in winter. Turn it turn off completely when you are not home.
- Drive efficiently. Accelerate slowly, not in a burst of speed. Don’t sit in an idling car.
- Keep stuff out of landfill. Sell things you want to get rid of, or donate them. Figure out how to recycle things.
- Flatten and recycle any cardboard boxes. There is a collection bin in the Auburn railroad parking lot on Nevada Street, and another one at Bell Rd and I-80. Also, flatten small food boxes before you throw them in the trash, such as cracker and cookie boxes, cake mix boxes, frozen food boxes, and any other boxes you empty out in your kitchen. These food boxes are small, but they add up in the landfill.
- Instead of driving alone, use trains, carpool with others, or walk.
Please listen to this podcast about forest restoration:
Previous Earth Saver Pages
February 2023 – Food for Thought
January 2023 – New Year’s Resolutions
December 2022 – An Earth-friendly Holiday Season
November 2022 – Buy Used to Help the Earth
October 2022 – Use Less Energy
September 2022 – Use Less Plastic
August 2022-Ten Ways to Help Our Earth